Self-Introduction Letter

Subject: Self-introduction letter of Valencia Lau

Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,


I am writing this introductory letter in hopes that you will get to understand me better. My name is Valencia Lau, a year 1 student in Mechanical Engineering, attending your effective communication module. 


I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic (SP) with a diploma in aeronautical engineering. This course mainly focuses on specialization in aircraft-related modules. 

The reason why I chose to further my studies in engineering is that I believe engineers elevate society to a greater level as I have seen from my father, a computer engineer who impacts the lives of everyone around him. Back when I was studying in polytechnic, I enjoyed studying mechanical engineering modules such as mechanics and thermodynamics modules more than aircraft-related modules, which is why I am currently pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering instead. The aforementioned modules have sparked my interest in engine parts and automation.


While I was never a strong communicator when growing up, I often introduced myself to people I have just met. I tend to break the ice easily and bring laughter to people around me. My past work experiences in the customer service sector have enhanced my ability to interact with people of different ethnicities and cultures in daily life. In my workplace, I often had to present ideas and solutions effectively to the users’ problems. This experience gave me the confidence that I needed to communicate well with others. In this sector, it is crucial to communicate well especially when the world is more technology-driven and fast-paced. 


Although I have been working on improving my communication skills, my weakness is I tend to get nervous when speaking to a large audience. For instance, I will start to stutter when presenting. I also tend to mispronounce my words. Hence, I need to rehearse my speech beforehand. It is a weakness that I plan to overcome as public speaking skills are important when presenting to high profile clients. 


Therefore, I hope to gain confidence and improve in public speaking over the course of my student life. I believe that this will help with my presentation and interview skills as I will be tasked to present multiple projects to my target audience. I would also like to work on being a proactive communicator and step out of my comfort zone which is a crucial skill in the workplace. This would allow me to communicate better and maintain an engaging topic. 


My outgoing personality and optimism are what makes me unique. My friends enjoy talking to me because I am willing to express myself openly and enjoy engaging with people around me. I rarely turn down invitations to parties and other gatherings. 


I look forward to learning more about communication from your class.


Your sincerely,


Valencia Lau


/edited on 22/02/2022, 11.29am/

Commented on: 

Wen Jue https://wenjuelim.blogspot.com/2022/01/self-introduction-formal-letter.html

Amirul https://broccoboi.blogspot.com/2022/01/self-introduction.html#more

Jia Xin https://foojiaxin2102692.blogspot.com/2022/01/formal-introduction-letter.html?showComment=1642997430017#c7128311890592595700

Rayner https://raynerec.blogspot.com/2022/01/self-introduction-letter.html?showComment=1642998459225#c3740506852479931148


Comments

  1. Hi Valencia, your letters are well constructed and there are no breaks in it's flow as well. However, I noticed some small mistakes that you have typed wrongly in your first paragraph. I believe it should be a letter instead of an email, also you should introduce yourself before going into the purpose of this letter. Other than that, your letter is pretty well constructed, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback. I have made the necessary changes. Hope you enjoyed reading my letter.

      Delete
  2. Hey Val! You gave good illustrations to the points youre bringing across. I like how you mentioned that this skill is vital in the current modern climate. It also flows well. One slight change I would do is to give a personal example on how engineers elevated society. Maybe you could mention a loved one who enjoyed being in the industry, or an innovation that amazes you? Something of that nature. Other than that, good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback. I have added elaboration on engineers elevated society. I briefly mentioned that I was influenced by my father to join engineering. My father is a computer engineer and has impacted lives by fixing and designing computer parts.

      Delete
  3. Hello Valencia,

    Its heart-warming to know that your inspiration in engineering comes from your dad. Your letter is very detailed and complete. However, I would try to summarise the paragraph on your strengths in communication into shorter sentences. I believe this would make your letter more concise.

    Other than that, I really enjoyed reading your letter and getting to know more about you. I hope you will gain the confidence you want and become a better speaker along the way. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback, glad that you enjoyed reading my letter. I look forward to working with you again in this module.

      Delete
  4. Hello Valencia,

    Thank you for this expressive letter. I felt you have covered the basic scope of the assignment and managed to demonstrate something about what makes you unique.
    However, maybe you could take this change into consideration for a better flow:
    *Therefore, in the course of my studies, I hope to gain confidence and improve my skills in public speaking. I believe that this will enhance* my presentation and interview skills as I will be tasked to present multiple projects to my target audience.

    It was a pleasure reading your introduction letter, to get to know you better. Looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future!

    Warmest Regards,
    Jia Xin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I look forward to working with you in the future too!

      Delete

  5. Dear Valencia,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and richly-detailed letter. You do a very good job covering the scope of the assignment brief as you explain your educational background and experience in poly while connecting your dad's influence, your interests and your study choice with goals in terms of both communication and engineering. It's also enriching for us readers to learn about your work experience in customer service and the growth that you have found as a result of that opportunity.

    This letter is also quite fluent, though there are some minor language issues to take note of:

    1. overuse of caps
    -- My name is Valencia Lau, a year 1 student in Mechanical Engineering, attending your Effective Communication module. > ?
    -- in the Customer Service sector > ?

    2. word use / phrasing
    -- of different diversities > of different ethnicities

    I look forward to learning more about you and from you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      Thank you for reading my letter and giving me all the feedbacks I needed to improve myself. I have made the changes needed accordingly. I am glad that now you know more about my interests, background as well as past working experience.

      I look forward to learn more from you in our upcoming classes.

      Best regards,

      Valencia

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts